Long overdue update

Posted by Zach | Sunday, February 15, 2009 | 0 comments »

Well, I had intentions of updating this sooner but we've been battling the worst wireless internet in the world at the hotel.

So last I wrote, I was in Monroe, LA. We split town and made a 3hr jaunt down to New Orleans. New Orleans... its an interesting town. Still very apparent remains of Katrina damage as many residents never cared to return and their property has been left to rot. Downtown is not bad, but the French Quarter is the happening spot. We only had a 5 block walk from our hotel to Bourbon Street which was very nice. We took advantage of that convenience, for sure.

We finished up the New Orleans project pretty quick and I actually stayed 2 days longer to finish up.

My next stop was to be Springfield, MO. Unfortunately, the day I planned to leave there was nasty winds in Springfield, so I opted to pick a point midway. I definitely didn't want to stay in Arkansas so I picked a more east routing that brought me by Memphis. Obviously, landing at KMEM would be too pricy for the boss, so I opted for Olive Branch airport about 10 miles southeast of Memphis. I didn't realize until I was digging through my approach plates that Olive Branch is actually in Mississippi, not Tennessee. Who knew?

I ended up being marooned in Olive Branch for 3 days. Why, you ask...? Well, the first day I had an infuriating battle with my boss who was afraid of 2 airports with low clouds about 20 minutes into the flight. The rest of the route was clear as a bell. So now I had to stay another night and guess what? I spent the night on Tornado Watch. Luckily the tornados never came to the Memphis area, but we had wicked thunderstorms roll through at 6am. It was loud enough to wake me up and looking outside looked like a damn hurricane. Needless to say I opted not to fly that day. I finally made it out the following day with a 3 hr trip to Springfield.

Springfields been okay so far, but not much to report. I'll just leave you with some pics from the last couple weeks. Enjoy.



Hey Ben, how's it goin?


Monroe, LA


The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway


Another shot to the Lake and Causeway


Lakefront New Orleans (KNEW)


Downtown New Orleans, including the Superdome


The French Quarter



Barges on the Mississippi River in New Orleans


MSY, Louis Armstrong International Airport... slowest bravo in the country.


Popping up at 8000ft enroute to Olive Branch, MS

That is all...

ZD

0 comments